Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
March 29, 2024, 05:39:55 AM

Author Topic: How do you detect which ignition coil is faulty on a 2000 Nissan maxima?  (Read 2656 times)

Michael

Hi,
   I owe a Nissan maxima 2000 and it's good but the query which i want to ask was that how can we detect which ignition coil is producing faults. Please let me know it.

thankyou,

anand mohan

• View Profile
Re: How do you detect which ignition coil is faulty on a 2000 Nissan maxima?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 07:42:51 AM »
Hi Michael,
                 The computer rarely stores the code for the exact faulty coil. Normally its simply P1320 which is a broad code for an Ignition Failure. If you get a 0301, 0302 etc, the last digit corresponds to the specific cylinder that is misfiring and this makes it easy!. If its like mine, you'll have to disconnect the coils one by one to figure out which one it is--this is very easy to do yourself.

All you do is leave it running when its running rough, pop the hood and undo each ignition coil one at a time. The front coils(#2,4,6 from left to right) are under the plastic 3000 cover which requires an Allen wrench to remove. The rear ones are at the back of the motor and line up with the back 3 cylinders. To remove them, you push down on the light green connector until it pops off--sometimes I need a flathead scre3ndriver to get them.
Do them one by one and each one that's working properly will make the engine run REALLY rough when you disconnect it. The one that doesnt effect the way the engine is running when you remove it is the bad one. Buy a new one from the dealership for around $75 and replace it yourself! All you need is a socket wrench set. Some cylinders are easier than others, but all are manageable even for a dummy like me!